The goal of the laboratory is to develop an ultrasensitive method – the method of accelerator mass spectrometry – to address important practical and fundamental scientific problems.
Research areas include
Other possible areas of research
- determination of the age organic objects for Geology (sapropel, wood, shells), soil (humic acid), criminalistics (human remains), bibliography (ancient manuscripts);
- diagnostics of Helicobacter pylori in humans;
- determination of the penetration power of organic aerosol particles with the sizes from several nm up to several microns into various organs.
– determining the age of elite alcohol, embedding security labels (bills, documents, etc.), studying pharmacokinetics of Russian medicines and dietary supplements.
The following results have been obtained:
Expert of the division
- The first urease breath tests are conducted to determine the content of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, which causes gastritis, stomach ulcers and other similar diseases, from 15 volunteers. The unique Russian method of diagnostics developed by the laboratory shows 1000 times greater sensitivity than the existing analogues.
- We were the first in the world to demonstrate the penetration of organic aerosols in the bodies of laboratory mice when exposed to natural conditions (inhalation of low concentration of particles). Particle sized 200 nm after getting into the lungs were also registered in the liver.
- The anomalous contents of radiocarbon – 34-fold excess of modern radiocarbon content – was discovered in some samples of the humic acids obtained in the area of 150 km to the South from the place of 1957 Kyshtym accident.
- The dating of sediments of the Large Spoon lake (Vengerovskiy district of Novosibirsk region) was made, which changed the ideas about the duration of sedimentation of the lake (not 10 thousand years, as it was thought before, but 6 thousand years only).
- The age of the manuscript fragment received from the library of Elista was confirmed as related to old Mongolian period (1045±30 years).
- The series of radiocarbon dates of humic acids was obtained, which allowed confirming the duration of the soils formation for a number of local territories in Russia and Kazakhstan.
– Vasily Parkhomchuk, (Doctor of Physics and Mathematics) email@example.com
The department of Accelerator Physics
Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics, Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences