ABOUT THE CENTER
The mission of the Climate Center
is to unite the efforts of the scientific community, business and the public to decarbonize the economy.
is to develop and implement measures for the transition to a low-carbon economy. The Climate Center conducts projects in 5 areas:
- Carbon Polygons and Farms. Development, launch and operation.
- Carbon balance of regions. Collecting information on the amount of carbon dioxide emitted and consumed. Finding ways to manage the process.
- Digital model of forest ecosystems. It involves a cross-section of information about the current state of the forest ecosystems, options for increasing carbon sequestration mechanisms while maintaining the stability of the ecosystem as a whole.
- Autonomous power engineering. Creating technology for the production of high-calorie synthetic gas fuel from various raw materials for generating electricity and replacing natural gas in industrial processes.
- Validation and verification of greenhouse gases emissions. The process of evaluating greenhouse gas claims in accordance with the NSU GHG VVB (Greenhouse Gases Validation And Verification Body) accreditation criteria.
- Geopolymers. Creation of environmentally friendly materials derived from inorganic raw materials.
In addition, we are always open to any new ideas related to climate and environmental issues. We give students the opportunity to pursue their ideas for greening the campus, as well as to work on projects and develop as specialists in a promising field. If you are interested in environmental issues and ready to apply best practices to find innovative solutions, join us!
The Climate Center NSU is developing a methodology for the creation of carbon farms on unclaimed agricultural lands. The developed methodology will allow to implement cost-effective introduction of abandoned lands into the market, taking into account the formation of additional climatic effect. On a pilot area of more than 450 hectares, it is planned to test the range of technologies for climate projects on post-agrogenic areas and verification of the climatic effect of the operations.
These are areas of natural intact forest ecosystems represented by pine and birch grass forests, the main types of zonal vegetation of the forest-steppe and sub-taiga zones of Western Siberia, created to implement measures to control climate active gases.
- Calculation of regional carbon balances
Employees of the Climate Center NSU conduct calculations on the carbon balance of the regions (as part of the voluntary inventory of emissions and absorption of greenhouse gases by the subjects of the Russian Federation) in accordance with official methods. At the moment the carbon balance of the Novosibirsk oblast (province) for 2017-2020 has been formed.
The aim of the project is to create an industrial technology for producing high-calorie synthetic gas fuel from various raw materials. Its subsequent application is electricity generation with gas turbine engines and replacing natural gas in technological processes at industrial companies.
This is a unique project, which connects environmental, technological and scientific aspects to create an effective system of forest management. This project plays an important role in forest-climatic projects, as it makes it possible to assess the impact of climate change on the ecosystem and, based on this data, to develop measures for its preservation. The model is used to predict changes in forest areas, to identify risk zones, and to determine the optimal conditions for the development of forests.
Creation of environmentally friendly materials derived from inorganic raw materials. Our polymers have high mechanical and thermal properties and can be used in construction, industry and other industries.
- Validation and verification of greenhouse gases emissions
We have received accreditation for greenhouse gas
validation and verification. Verification/validation is a systematic,
independent and documented process for evaluating greenhouse gas applications
to meet agreed accreditation criteria. Verification/validation is performed in
accordance with the accreditation scope of the greenhouse gas validation and
verification body (GHG VVB).