The International Scientific Council of Mathematical center in Akademgorodok has presented the results of the research project competition for 2021.
Can you get into more detail?
At the end of 2020, a competition for initiative projects
was announced, for which 13 applications were received. Russian and foreign experts carried out an independent examination of these projects, resulting in the International Scientific Council (ISC) selecting the winning applications on January 15, 2021. These applications will receive the support of the center this year.
What is ISC and what is its purpose?
The International Scientific Council is a body that provides scientific guidance to the activities of Mathematical center. It helps the scientific research of the center correspond to modern trends in the development of mathematics in the world and to assess whether the scientific results obtained correspond to the world-class level.
Why is the administration of the center unable to cope with this by itself?
This kind of assessment requires a very broad view of what is currently happening in mathematics. And modern mathematics is so huge that the eyes of an ordinary (even a very powerful) scientist cannot cope with this task. We need a collective council of representatives from various areas of mathematics. Our International Scientific Council consists of such people (you can see for yourself
). Their knowledge and experience help evaluate projects from any area of mathematics from a global point of view: they understand whether a project is in line with global mathematical trends — or is it already hopelessly outdated, whether the proposed research has a perspective — or it will not lead to anything new, whether the research group has enough potential to carry out research, etc.
How exactly does the International Scientific Council work?
The council meets at least once a year, each time for a specific purpose. For example, last year the Council met in November to hear reports on the work of scientific groups in 2020. This time, the experts met in January to determine the winners of the call for proposals, which is described above. The date of the next meeting has not yet been determined, but at the end of this year, there will undoubtedly be a meeting of the ISC, at which the results of the work of the groups in 2021 will be presented and the results of the project competition for 2022 will be summed up.
And what happened to the research groups that worked at the center last year?
Some of them have closed and will not continue to work as part of the Center. Another (the greater) part participated in the same competition. Their projects were called “ongoing”. These applications were considered on the same grounds, but the decision to support them was made not only on the basis of the application but also on the basis of the report for the previous year.
Can I find out which applications won?
Yes, there were ten research projects among the winners of the competition. Here they are:
- Axial algebras and related groups (project leader: I. B. Gorshkov);
- Geometric aspects of mathematical physics (project leader: A. E. Mironov)
- Geometric analysis and its applications (project leader: M. B. Karmanova)
- Differential equations and dynamic systems (project leader: I. I. Matveeva);
- Cryptography and information security (project leader: N. N. Tokareva)
- Inverse problems in natural sciences (project leader: M. A. Shishlenin)
- Applied abstract algebra: algebraic methods in topology, combinatorics and computational complexity (project leader: A. V. Vasiliev);
- Spatial dynamic stochastic processes (project leader: E. I. Prokopenko);
- Modern mathematical models and numerical methods of Newtonian continuum mechanics with application to geophysics (project leader: E. I. Romensky)
- Digitalization of mathematical models and intelligent data processing systems (project leader: N. A. Bazhenov).